Frequently Asked Questions
What is the mission of Shea’s Chase 5K Run/Walk?
Shea’s Chase is a cause with a very appropriate “exercise in exercise”, a 5K run/walk, as its primary engine. The core goals of Shea’s Chase are to help:
- De-stigmatize mental health challenges
- Communicate prevalence of depression, anxiety, and stress as obstacles to contentment and productivity
- Communicate hope, support, and love to sufferers and their family and friends
- Communicate availability of services and programs to help manage health challenges and go on to live vital and content lives
- Prevention of suicide
- De-stigmatize suicide and lend support to survivors
- Promote exercise as a tool in the fight
- Help fund leading, local organizations aligned with the above
How will the funds raised be used?
The Mental Health Association in Greensboro (MHAG) has been established as the sole benefactor of Shea’s Chase for 2018. 100% of the proceeds will go to supporting current programs and expanding MHAG services. Below are some examples of how funds will be used. Please contact us for more information regarding the use of funds raised by Shea’s Chase.
- $15 Student Runner/Walker Fee: One community member can attend the QPR Suicide Awareness Program.
- $30 Regular Runner/Walker Fee: One community member can receive 3 hours of peer-to-peer coaching to achieve recovery-oriented goals.
- $500 Sponsorship: Nine community members (including community professionals and first responders) can attend the 8-hour Mental Health First Aid Program.
- $1,000 Sponsorship: Can provide 40 hygiene and gift bags for patients at Moses Cone Behavioral Health Hospital for the Hands of Hope Program during the Holiday Season.
- $2,500 Sponsorship: Can fund the development and provision of 3 new recovery skills classes.
- $5,000 Sponsorship: Funds 347 hours of wellness education, peer coaching, and support groups (most individuals participate in all three services on their recovery journey and may receive 200 hours of free services each).
- $10,000 Sponsorship: Will fund a new Stand Up for Mental Health program to use comedy to give mental health consumers a powerful voice and help reduce the stigma and discrimination around mental illness.
What is included with my Shea’s Chase registration?
Included in race registration is a custom-designed t-shirt, beers/beverages and food at the Shea’s Chase After Party, coupons from local businesses, donation to the Mental Health Association in Greensboro and the opportunity to learn about mental health issues that surround us.
I am not a runner; can I still participate in Shea’s Chase?
Of course! Shea’s Chase 5K is an event for runners, walkers, and everything in between. We are also looking for assistance in the overall operation of the event, including community sponsors and volunteers. Please use the Contact Us tab on the website to ask a specific question about your desired involvement in Shea’s Chase.
Where do I pick up my packet?
Packets can be picked up at:
Thursday, November 8 from 5:00 – 8:00
2431 Battleground Ave,
Greensboro, NC 27408
Thursday, November 8 from 5:00 – 8:00
Friday, November 9 from 3:00 – 7:00
Or from 9:30 – 10:30 on race day
Can someone else pick up my packet for me?
Yes, someone can pick up your packet with valid photo ID (or photo of your photo ID)
When does the race start?
The race starts at 11 am on Saturday, November 2nd, 2019 at the Stacks Courtyard at Revolution Mill.
Can I run with my dog?
Unfortunately for safety reasons we do not allow dogs, bicycles, inline skates, or any means of transportation other than running, walking, or wheelchairs.
Can I run with a stroller and my kids?
Yes, running baby strollers are allowed but must have a minimum of 6” wheels.
Can spectators attend the Shea’s Chase after party?
Yes, we welcome all to attend the after-party! Suggested $5 or higher donation to the Mental Health Association in Greensboro
Where do I park?
The parking lot is located off of Textile and Yanceyville Streets. Look for the signs to Kitchen and Market and when the road splits go to the large parking lot to the left. There is plenty of free parking.
What happens if there is bad weather?
The race is on rain or shine! In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined.
Can I receive a refund if I am unable to participate in the race as planned?
Sorry, no refunds for any reason will be issued for this event. Entries cannot be transferred to another person. No exceptions will be made to this policy. Thank you for supporting Shea’s Chase and the Mental Health Association in Greensboro!