Frequently Asked Questions
What is the mission of Shea’s Chase 5K Run/Walk?
Shea’s Chase is a cause with a very appropriate “exercise in exercise”, a 5K run/walk, as its primary engine. The core goals of Shea’s Chase are to help:
- De-stigmatize mental health challenges
- Communicate prevalence of depression, anxiety, and stress as obstacles to contentment and productivity
- Communicate hope, support, and love to sufferers and their family and friends
- Communicate availability of services and programs to help manage health challenges and go on to live vital and content lives
- Prevention of suicide
- De-stigmatize suicide and lend support to survivors
- Promote exercise as a tool in the fight
- Help fund leading, local organizations aligned with the above
I am not a runner; can I still participate in Shea’s Chase?
Where is the Mental Health Association in Greensboro (MHAG) located?
Is MHAG a for profit organization?
What is MHAG’s vision and mission in regards to mental health?
What kinds of services does MHAG provide?
The Mental Health Association in Greensboro advances mental wellness through various programs and services, including:
- The Wellness Academy offers morning core classes and afternoon enrichment classes to promote recovery and explore a new way of living by focusing on strengths and goals and offering creative opportunities.
- Support groups for individuals living with mental health diagnoses, as well as for their friends and family members.
- One-on-one coaching with our staff of Certified Peer Support Specialists.
- Community mental health education programs such as Mental Health First Aid training, QPR (Question, Persuade, Refer) suicide prevention program. Health Fairs and Mental Health Screenings, Provider Academy, Mental Health Recovery Summit, Peer Recovery Summit, and sponsored expert speakers.
How does MHAG connect to building relationships with community businesses and individual stakeholders?
How does MHAG add value to my business’ brand? (i.e. exposure at an event, website, publication, etc.)
How will the funds raised be used?
The Mental Health Association in Greensboro (MHAG) has been established as the sole benefactor of Shea’s Chase for 2016. 100% of the proceeds will go to supporting current programs and expanding MHAG services. Below are some examples of how funds will be used. Please contact us for more information regarding the use of funds raised by Shea’s Chase.
- $15 Student Runner/Walker Fee: One community member can attend the QPR Suicide Awareness Program.
- $30 Regular Runner/Walker Fee: One community member can receive 3 hours of peer-to-peer coaching to achieve recovery-oriented goals.
- $500 Sponsorship: Nine community members (including community professionals and first responders) can attend the 8-hour Mental Health First Aid Program.
- $1,000 Sponsorship: Can provide 40 hygiene and gift bags for patients at Moses Cone Behavioral Health Hospital for the Hands of Hope Program during the Holiday Season.
- $2,500 Sponsorship: Can fund the development and provision of 3 new recovery skills classes.
- $5,000 Sponsorship: Funds 347 hours of wellness education, peer coaching, and support groups (most individuals participate in all three services on their recovery journey and may receive 200 hours of free services each).
- $10,000 Sponsorship: Will fund a new Stand Up for Mental Health program to use comedy to give mental health consumers a powerful voice and help reduce the stigma and discrimination around mental illness.
Where do I pick up my packet?
Packet pick-up details will be posted as we get closer to the race date.
Can someone else pick up my packet for me?
What is included with my Shea’s Chase registration?
When does the race start?
The race starts at 11 am on Saturday, November 4th, 2017 in the Railyard at South End. (120 Barnhardt Street, Greensboro, NC 27401)